Tuesday 26 September 2017

@Alan @Phil Minor/Major project idea variants

         

After a discussion with Alan and Phil, and reading the feedback I recieved on the previous post, it is clear I must take on the project with something simple, and not go for creating a (video) games model, as this is not what I want to be known for. Instead, art for things such as board games and card games would be a good idea - I need to approach this as though I am being commissioned - so my interest in detailed paintings and character work can be incorporated in a 3D illustration. This mind map is of other ideas: I have a deep interest in Japanese fashion culture, specifically "harajuku" fashion, however other than that, there isn't a subject to move forward with on that, other than a hyper-detailed model, which again, I do not wish to be known for. I do have an interest in the LGBT community and was thinking of perhaps a scene(s) of a gay couple overcoming the harsh society; much like this music video from Logic which is very moving:  


           


The mood board below shows examples of art from (as Alan suggested) Magic The Gathering (card game), Yu-Gi-Oh card game, Legend of the Cryptids game, as well as other art used on board games etc. I could find a subject/story and create my own still (or series of three) images depicting a story or a mood, similar to what is shown below, in 3D form but with my own style and heavy use of textures and lighting.I find these paintings and imagery deeply facinating and would love to one day paint to this level.



This second mood board comes from the disscussion I had with Phil - the left half is of childrens stories - I'm thinking one could be adapted, changed up, modernised and made in my own style, for example, an older, more badass version of Red Riding Hood that hunts, or a role reversal of Sleeping Beauty (I was advised however, to stay away from Disney). Childhood stories I remember are listed in the mind map at the top; however, I'm leaning more towards the board/card games idea, yet I can also be flexible and create somethin derrived from a childrens story, to show my flexibility.
  The right hand side are examples of tableau vivant photography which Phil recommended - I do like the moments captured in the photographs and they relate to what my end product(s) would look like, however I would still like to have my style in whatever the end project may be, and not something that looks super real and normal (i.e non-fantasy, normal human life).


As time moves on, I need to have an idea down soon; I'm happy with doing childrens stories, or art much like in the second mood board - I'd need to find a subject and/or something to adapt, and for it to be worth a year long project.

1 comment:

  1. Evening Manisha - this is a very useful post, so thank you :) I wonder if maybe you could combine a couple of things here to useful effect. For me, the idea of pegging your illustrations to the playing card/fantasy game genre brings with it a lot of crowded context and expectations and it also means - I think - you'd need to be thinking about this game and what it is and why etc and I can't help thinking this is superfluous to your actual interests. You know me, I think the most interesting work that anyone makes on an arts degree is the work that is 'closest to home'.

    Let's imagine that you've been commissioned by a charity that is running a campaign against bullying of LGBTQ kids at school. The point of the campaign is to jettison the idea of the gay/trans kid as somehow 'weak' or to be pitied. What if you'd been commissioned to create the images for a series of posters - the sort that would go on the side of buses and on bus shelters - we're talking a massive campaign - in which you have to represent the LGBTQ community as extraordinary super-heroes and 'utterly fabulous'... I too have been thinking about 'card games' and when I was thinking about what format this poster campaign might take, I was thinking about the aesthetic and principle of 'Top Trumps' - where characters have their vital statistics on card and villains and heroes compete with each other - I remember there was always a card that could beat all the rest - the card everyone wanted...

    http://truimg.toysrus.co.uk/product/images/UK/0085025_CF0001.jpg?resize=1000:1000
    https://i.pinimg.com/236x/b8/29/9f/b8299f3f8692f08bf24104f5494c609c--top-trumps-card-games.jpg
    https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/images.linnlive.com/61a7f036d0f82be3a9495c79a2e4bc61/444dfa17-01c0-4f53-8341-793256af4058.jpg

    Anyway - I can imagine a series of posters featuring heroic kickass LGBTQ characters - essentially, turning bullied scared school kids into heroes - or giving them some heroic archetypes of their own to admire. As I type, I'm absolutely reminded of this wonderful pastiche of 80s camp cartoons...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Otaq2tmNMM

    ReplyDelete